Friday, May 15, 2009

Character

A student of mine hit a walk-off grand slam with two outs, bases juiced and a one-run deficit in last night's conference championship game. Does it get any better than that? I couldn't wait to see her this morning after I heard the news. I asked her to tell the story to the class.

"No," she said. "I'm too nervous for my math test." This was typical humble behavior for her. She eventually whispered the most watered-down version of the story so that nobody could hear her. "And then I hit it out," she concluded.

"Was it on the first pitch?" I asked.

"I don't remember," she said. She couldn't remember because the adrenaline was still pumping through her veins. This girl will go farther in life than any softball she will ever hit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment