Thursday, August 27, 2009

Rock the Cradle with me

Franklin Street bars close doors, sell to new owners and open again under new names with old feels. The Varsity is gone, but I can live without it. Pedestrians can eat good Mexican food if they jog with their mouths open. The girls wear dresses, and the boys talk loud while the homeless ask for change. Shoppers look for used books, clothes and music. People wonder how Chapel Hill has a brothel. It's all still Franklin Street.

Cat's Cradle is one of the last remaining classic names downtown, and I never take advantage of it. My job became manageable today for the first time in three years, so I decided to commit to a few weekday shows at the Cradle. I want to love it again like I used to.

Cat's Cradle's Web site is organized well for quick listens. Here are the shows that sounded good to me. The links go straight to the music samples pages.

James McMurtry, Wednesday, Sept. 16
Ra Ra Riot, Wednesday, Sept. 30
Andrew Bird, Wednesday, Oct. 7 and Thursday, Oct. 8
Blitzen Trapper, Friday, Oct. 9
Lucero, Tuesday, Oct. 13
Dr. Dog, Wednesday, Oct. 21
The Old Ceremony, Friday, Nov. 6
Chatham County Line, Saturday, Nov. 7
Blind Pilot, Monday, Nov. 9

No comments:

Post a Comment