Friday, June 8, 2007

Ceremonies

My friend, Kim, got married last weekend in the eye of a hurricane. She used to stay up until the wee hours, helping me study at Carolina. I saw a dear friend very happy.

My sister graduated from Harvard yesterday. I strolled the Cambridge streets without aim all day. I will do the same tomorrow.

This new life of ease gives me time to read. I am halfway through W.P. Kinsella's Shoeless Joe. I will try to remember the name Karin if I ever have a daughter.

I will now retire to my sister's air mattress, which requires several inflations each night.

"The process is all so slow, as dreams are slow, as dreams suspend time like a balloon hung in midair. I want it all to happen now . . . I want whatever miracle I am party to, to prosper and grow: I want the dimensions of time that have been loosened from their foundations to entwine like a basketful of bright embroidery threads. But it seems that even for dreams, I have to work and wait. It hardly seems fair."

~W.P. Kinsella

2 comments:

  1. that sounds like a sweet book... i'm adding it to my reading list :)

    sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. it WAS quite the storm. the day was perfect though. and i'm so glad you were there. thanks for making the trip and bringing melissa along with you.

    ReplyDelete